Graphic Grey

Monday 23 June 2014

Halen Mon, Day 3

Friday. My final day with Halen Mon is drawing to a close. It's gorgeous here, and I'd love to stay. I have so many ideas for art, ranging from the semi functional to the more fantastical, but how best to progress? Between us we've decided to start with the practical and work from there.

Halen Mon is a functioning production site, with a soon-to-be built visitor centre on the way. This means the priority for artworks is to serve a function, whether through their placement so they subtly direct visitors, or decorate blank surfaces, or through their content so they educate and inform about the chemistry and production of salt.



I'm taking a massive collection of resources back to my studio, ranging from photos to watercolours to all sorts of items I've found and been given. These will form the inspiration from which I'll work. We've arranged to have a catch up online in a couple of weeks to recap, regroup and consider our progress, so although we're at opposite ends of the country we shouldn't lose too much momentum.

Another visit? Yes, that's on the cards for later on this year. By then both of us will have progressed and we should be able to recombine our ideas with physical elements on site.

 Supported by a bursary from a-n The Artist Information Company.

No comments: